This case study highlights the success of a Google advertising campaign for a fast food company specializing in pizza and Italian food dining and delivery with multiple franchised locations. The company’s success hinged largely on its takeout service and used an ordering app to facilitate transactions and track sales.
Given the impact of the pandemic, the company was forced to cut their advertising budget by 65% between 2019 and 2020. Though ad spend did increase an additional 38% in 2021 and 2022, spending never did return to 2019 levels. This meant that Extension Marketing had to design a highly strategic, efficient and targeted campaign to help the company continue to generate sales during the difficult economic times.
We started first with keyword research to target individuals in cities and large towns who were looking to order pizza and take-out, and drive increased online orders and foot traffic to local pizza delivery establishments. We identified relevant keywords such as “pizza delivery,” “order pizza,” “best pizza near me,” “pizza delivery in [city/town name],” “online pizza ordering,” “Order online,” etc. Additionally, we set up geotargeting to focus on cities and large towns to ensure the ads were displayed to users within the desired geographical area.
We created separate ad groups for each city or large town to deliver hyper-localized ads.
We grouped keywords based on relevance and created compelling ad copy for each ad group utilizing ad extensions such as; location extensions, call extensions, and sitelink extensions to enhance ad visibility and provide additional information.
The copy included enticing and specific offers such as discounts, limited-time promotions, or free delivery. We were sure to highlight unique selling points such as fresh ingredients, variety of toppings, fast delivery, or special dietary options (e.g., gluten-free or vegan pizzas). We also incorporated localized language and mentioned the city or town name in the ad to increase relevance and appeal.
The ads were scheduled using historical data and customer behavior to determine peak pizza ordering times to maximize exposure and drive conversions.
And finally, we regularly monitored campaign performance using Google Ads analytics, analyzing key metrics such as click-through rates, conversion rates, and cost per conversion to identify successful strategies and areas for improvement. We ensured campaigns were optimized on a daily basis by adjusting bids, refining keywords, and testing different ad variations to enhance performance.
- Despite fluctuations in advertising spend over the years, and the company not returning to pre pandemic advertising budgets, the Google Ads campaign consistently attracted a significant number of users, almost 400,000.
- User engagement remained strong, with over 600,000 sessions indicating active interaction, with those coming back on 1 or more occasions to the ordering app.
- The campaign demonstrated a positive impact on revenue, consistently driving sales growth and achieving impressive financial results, over 6 million dollars in sales.
- The success of the campaign underscores the effectiveness of Google Ads in reaching the target audience and promoting the fast food company’s offerings.
- By leveraging Google Ads, the company successfully maximized its online presence, attracting a large number of users and generating substantial revenue.
This campaign demonstrates the power of targeted online advertising in driving sales and achieving business objectives for multi-location fast food establishments. By effectively utilizing Google Ads, the company experienced consistent user engagement, revenue growth, and a positive return on investment.